Gwyneth Paltrow, founder of healthy lifestyle website, Goop has revealed her ultimate beauty secret – a great night’s sleep!
Just like her clean eating routine, she follows ‘clean sleeping’ – essentially consistent quality sleep, “ideally” 10 hours every night to help maintain a healthy lifestyle and radiant glow.
Speaking in her new book ‘Goop Clean Beauty’, which was released just last month, she explained:
“Sleep plays such a powerful role in determining your appetite and energy levels that I believe it should be your first priority, even before you think about your diet.”
“Call it vanity, call it health, but I know there’s a huge correlation between how I feel and what I look like when I roll out of bed in the morning” says Gwyneth.
And she certainly has a point; it’s been clinically proven many times just how negative affect a lack of quality sleep can have on you.
Weight gain, inflammation, depression, anxiety – they’ve all been linked to a lack of sleep because of the effect that sleep has on our hormones.
When we are asleep, our cells rebuild and repair themselves – the growth hormone functions only at night. So if you have a disturbed night’s sleep, this function is impaired.
This means that yes ladies, beauty sleep is a real thing! Whilst 10 hours may be unlikely, we advise you aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night to help you wake up feeling refreshed and looking you best.
The following may help:
- Go to bed at a regular time. Set the alarm for the same time each day – even weekends – to develop a regular sleep-wake rhythm.
- Make sure the bedroom is dark and quiet – an eye mask and ear plugs can help.
- No coffee or tea (they all contain caffeine) before bed. Instead opt for a herbal decaffeinated tea.
- Try deep breathing, or meditating for 10 minutes before bed to help clear your mind.
- Don’t exercise immediately before going to bed because it increases your adrenaline levels, heart rate and body temperature making it difficult to fall asleep.
- Add a few drops of aroma-therapy oils (lavender or ylang ylang) to your bedtime bath to help you relax and prepare for sleep.
- The right mattress is crucial. The Slumberland Harmony Comfort Collection has been created using a host of innovative materials carefully selected with the best sleeping experience in mind.